So, here we are, I'm about to write stuffs about my first project.
It is nothing new, it is called Aqua Culture.
This industry has been around for millions of centuries, I believe everyone must have at least heard of it.
The creature I'm about to cultivate, is called Tilapia.
Hell yeah, common enough.
The thing is, it is too common until no one really care to discover it's potential future.
Albeit it already being cultivate around the world for centuries, really centuries, but this type of fish, has just been crowned as "aquatic chicken".
FAO record that there are 2.6millions tons production in 2007, and it is still increasing.
Seeing the fishery industry now, we can easily understand that we will have no more wild breed fish in the next few years.
Fishes will be scarce, and definitely demand will come. In fact, it is already coming.
Same year, 2007, Malaysia has recorded 52,700tons of productions. Frankly, this amount is not enough for local market, and yet, most of the productions are for export purposes. Ironically, our dear fellow citizens are actually consuming fishes from Thailand.
Statistic shown, there are at least 20 cargo trucks transporting fishes from Thailand alone, into Malaysia,
distributing the entire Peninsular. Oh man, how much money is leaking to our neighbouring country?
And how much money has just slip through our hand?
I've been learning about this industry ever since I'm back in hometown. Which is now already 6months of feasibility studies. I think I've learned enough paper facts, and is time to get my hands dirty.
The Story Beings
So happen, my dad have friends who recently hooked up with an international group, who is interested to invest tilapia cultivation, and frozen process for export market. So spontenously, my dad will involve into my project.
My origin plan was to have a minor scale testing, to know exactly the growth, the condition, put everything into proper statistic calculation, which will need at least 6 to 8months. Now, because of my dad,everything seems change. He seems like he couldn't wait that long, he wanted to test and launch a medium scale at the beginning. Well, I'm okay since he is now the financial suppliar, whatever you said, sir!
Again, so happen, we have some sort of underground water floating out behind our factory backyard, and SO HAPPEN again, our neighbour factory had digged a pond a year ago and already cultivating the fishes, and have good result.
Obviously, we are going to set our cultivating place at this little factory site, since we will move the manufacturing division to another factory in a year. There will be no problem for some little expansion in the future.
And, we've talked our neighbour into the game, share us his pond. The only down is that we will bear all the feeding cost. Nevermind, as long as we get a fair cut of profits.
The Unsolve
The only problem unsolve is, there are actually two parties to join. Either we sell our fishes to the group I mentioned above, or a taiwanese buyer. Both have different offers. I'll list it here, for my own reference next time:
1. Int. Group
- An old and trustable friend, two option:
i ) Find them a large cultivation area, which has natural water, join in as a minor holder.
ii) Cultivate ourselves, then sell to them, as they are offering higher price compare to market.
For this, my dad actually wanted to have both options. Means, we will join them if we found the land, and at the same time, we will cultivate ourselves, and supply to them as well. So far, this is a sound plan, we'll have to see if it can work.
2. Taiwanese
- A friend being introduced by our neighbour's brother in law
From the relationship chart, is already quite shaky. But put that aside, it's just business.
This guy already found a huge place for his cultivation, although is not confirm yet.
We might asked him to spare us a little area, to operate ourselves, but using his technology, spawns and then selling back to him. Like a sub-contractor.
Furthermore, his price is fairly low compare to general market price.
If to decide according to the listings above, well, there will be no question, I'll choose the first one.
But we will not know, until the dust settle. Both sides are still not confirm yet. We'll have to see.
Don't Care, We Got to Get Going
No matter which side we will be with, we have to start our operation.
They will need another few months to be official. So, if we are already started something, at least we have a little leverage to use.
Our leverage:
i ) We already having hands on experience
ii ) We are ready to supply you, albeit very small amount of production.
iii) We are already in the industry before you!
Our Progress
Before I write here, my dad and I already done something.
I've have lay out and planned some structural modification in the factory, while my dad already bought the essential equipments, waiting for transport.
Wwill launch our operation, by mid of April.
In my plan, if everything went well, I can have my first harvest before year end, depends on condition.
I'll post it when I harvest.
My Target
I'm planning to have 10acres of cultivation site, which have 150ponds, accommodate 2mils of fishes, and output of 550,000fishes per month. Weight unknown yet. Until I have the figure, I'll post it with all other related data, including costing and margins.
I believe to achieve this, I've got to spend at least 3 to 5years.
We'll see.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment